It’s monthly favorites time! June is behind us. And as I sit here and reflect on the past month, much comes to mind. I’ve just completed my first month, give or take, (40 days to be exact) of blogging and it’s been an interesting experience to say the least. But I said to myself I would wait a little while longer before I translate those experiences into a blog post. So today is not going to be a newbie blogger’s take on the “bloggersphere” but rather, a simple first time favorites. Let’s stick to the important things people, like what makeup I was loving. 🙂
I made the decision early on that I would include a range of topics in my favorites, from beauty products to what bloggers/you-tubers I enjoy reading/watching to whatever else catches my fancy. Also, in future, you will be able to find all Monthly Favorites under the “Reviews” Page (drop down menu).
Anyway, with that housing keeping out of the way, let’s get on with it.
This is really pared down. There were many new finds and purchases this month that I have really enjoyed. But in the end, for the purposes of this Monthly Favorites, I had to settle on things that I reached for most since the beginning of June. Meaning that if a month is just about 4 weeks or so, I reached for these products more than half the time. I couldn’t swatch everything (this post will be pretty long as it is), but I did swatch a few of the colour cosmetics.
- Clinique Stay Matte Oil Free Foundation: A hot weather staple. See my full review here.
- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder – This is cheap and cheerful. Really like this powder for keeping me fairly matte throughout the day. I should do a review.
- L’Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur – I like this primer, but I feel that as it gets warmer, I prefer something a bit more mattifying. It works more to blur lines and imperfections rather than fill pores.
- Covergirl & Olay the De-Puffer Eye Concealer – This is a fairly new product. I have fallen hard for. Doesn’t crease, great coverage and good staying power. Look out for a in depth review coming soon.
- MAC Veronica’s Blush (Limited Edition) – I’ve had this for a while but only really started using it consistently this past month. Its a great topper to add a highlight to a pink blush. On its on, it doesn’t give quite enough colour.
- Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Pink – Although it’s Summer, I’ve been really feeling pink this month. Yes, I’ve done the bronze thing but pink cheeks has been where it’s at. Also, every time I wear this blush I get tons of compliments.
- Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lip Gloss in Rebel – This is a great mid-tone pink gloss that is comfortable on the lips and pairs well with a range of pink lipsticks. I got this deluxe sample size some time ago and it’s still going strong.
- Revlon Kissable Balm Stains in Cherish (cool, light pink) and Sweetheart (bright, fuchsia pink) – I really like these. They stain the lips without being uncomfortable or too drying. However, I got these almost two years ago and, honestly, I’ve been trying to use them up before they go off.
- YSL Glossy Stain in Dangerous Pink – Love. See my full review here.
- Chanel Le Volume de Chanel: Love! See my full review here.
- Stila in the Light Palette: This was one of my first eye-shadow palettes and I still love it to this day. When I don’t know what else to wear, this is what I reach for.
- Pop Beauty Sun Bronzer Sunlit: I don’t really hear anyone talk about this. Actually, I never have. I picked this up on a whim last year. It’s a bronzer/highlighter hybrid of 6 different colours. I really like that it has so many options and love pairing each different bronzer/highlight with a coordinating blush. Since it is an item I don’t hear a lot about, I’ve included some swatches below. The swatches start with the pink colour (semi-circle) and proceed clockwise. The only place I’ve found this bronzer online is the Pop Beauty site UK or Amazon.co.uk.
- Murad Clarifying Cleanser: An all time favorite, I use this every night and do not find it to be too harsh. Contains 1.5 % salicylic acid.
- Origins Make a Difference Rejuvenating Treatment Lotion: Soothing to swipe this across my face when I come out if a hot shower (but maybe not best for sensitive skin types).
- Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water: I keep this in my travel pack and think it’s an excellent make-up remover for both eyes/face. I was also using this in place of a cleanser for a couple a days when my skin went hay wire and it really helped to calm it down.
- Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15: Another hot weather staple. Full review coming soon.
Body Care/Hair Care/Other
- Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch SPF 50: It was a toss up between this and the Supergoop! Oil Suncreen (review here), both of which I’ve been using for my hands, chest, legs etc . In the end, the Hawaiian Tropic won by a margin. I should do a full review for the Summer Essential SPF Series. Just like the name implies, its a sheer, light-weight sunscreen.
- Bath & Body Works OAHU Pink Sand Scrub: Love, love this scrub. It’s got great exfoliating action without being too harsh and it foams a little too which I like. The smell is incredible: sweet coconut (with a hint of pineapple), floral, and amber notes.
- Versace Bright Crystal (Pink): This is a light fruity-floral fragrance that I’ve grown to like the more I wear it. It’s a great option for Summer that’s not too sweet. Notes include: pomegranate, yuzu, peony, and fresh lotus.
With respect to my social media favorites, as much as I want to, I can’t include them all so I’ve limited myself to seven (7) in total. Some have only a YouTube channel or a blog, some have both. I separated them into “YouTube” and “Blog” based on how I first discovered them, that is all. Unless otherwise noted, these are all beauty, fashion and lifestyle related channels and blogs.
So before I started blogging, I watched a lot of YouTube. I would say for about four years? Maybe longer. Therefore, there are many you-tubers that I’ve been following for a long time. However, I thought it fitting for my first favorites to include two of my all time favorites. These lovely ladies are spectacular, in my humble opinion, and have truly inspired me in more ways then just the “beauty-related”. They make great videos, both content-wise and quality-wise, and their loyal followings demonstrate their commitment to their craft and to their subscribers. And of course, you can count on both ladies to give their true, honest opinions on the products that they review.
Mrslolalynn (Laura): Laura’s videos make me smile. When watching her videos, she has a knack for making you feel like she is having a conversation directly with you. She exudes friendliness and is so approachable. Definitely got that girl next door, best friend vibe going. She’s funny, sweet and of course, gorgeous. Also, I love that she clearly provides the name (on screen) of each product she speaks about.
lisettesbeaute (Emily): In my mind, Emily is the picture of a lady (a modern lady, that is). She is beautiful and elegant; her tastes refined and impeccable. I feel very relaxed when I watch her videos, her voice is soothing in a way I cannot adequately describe. She often features products that maybe not everyone is talking about and I truly believe she should have ten times the subscribers that she does (although she does have many).
I am going to admit that before I started blogging, I actually didn’t read that many blogs (hangs head in shame). Then why start a blog you say? Like I said, that post will come later. I did “follow” a few blogs but these were the mega-blogs that have become synonymous with “beauty blogging” (i.e. Temptalia). Anyway, so when I finally started to contemplate blogging, I paid more attention. And when I actually started blogging, I came to better appreciate the many, many wonderful blogs that are out there. There are several blogs I discovered toward the end of the month that will definitely be making an appearance in next months favorites [I’m looking at you London Laura :-)] O.K., so now that I’ve made my confession, on to the blog favorites.
Anoushka Loves: Anoushka from Anoushka Loves is “a self confessed beauty addict and spends way too much time in various department store beauty halls”. I love her blog and her taste. She recently redesigned her site and it looks awesome: clean, elegant and “girly”. Be warned, though, she has a tendency to “inspire” purchases, lol. 🙂
A Thick Girl’s Closet: Shainna, or Shay, is a self-described “plus size girl looking to make her own mold in society” She loves “clothes, shoes, boys and all things sexy”. It was only when I started blogging that I began to discover all of the wonderful, gorgeous, guys and girls out there who focus on plus size beauty and fashion. Shay has incredible style, proving that size doesn’t mean a thang when you love fashion, and I’ve really enjoyed her reading her blog posts.
But First, Coffee: I was initially drawn into Kallie’s blog by it’s name. I am a coffee addict as well. The second thing I noticed was how she takes great effort to feature and talk about other bloggers on her site. This really struck me and I have respect and admiration for that. Of course, she also does great reviews. Her iced coffee trick is the best!
Jamaican Beauty Blog: Marsha, a fellow Caribbean blogger who hails from Jamaica, writes about natural remedies for everything from hay fever to cholesterol. Her articles are ripe with information and a great source for those looking to compliment their existing regimens with some natural options.
Ma Nouvelle Mode: I first noticed Natalia’s blog because of her great DIY projects, such as her Lime Sugar Scrub and more recently, her home-made guacamole. She also writes about beauty, hair care, being a mom, and everything in between. Another interesting connection, her husband is from The Bahamas which was so exciting for me because I don’t know any other bloggers that are Bahamian or have a Bahamian connection.
Whew! So I think that’s it for this month. With all the house-keeping and explanations, this first monthly favorites was a long one, but I promise (hopefully), the others one won’t be this long. What have you guys been loving this past month?
The product(s) mentioned in this post were purchased with the author’s own money. The thoughts and opinions expressed are the author’s alone. Post contains some affiliate links. The author is not affiliated with any of the blogs/you-tube channels mentioned nor have they sponsored or asked for endorsement by this blog in anyway and vice-versa. The author simply enjoys reading the above mentioned blogs/you-tube channels and wanted to share the love. For more information see Disclaimer here.
All items featured in this post were purchased by the author unless otherwise noted. Any products or services provided as PR will be marked with an asterisk "*". This website uses Skimlinks and this post may contain affiliate links.